William S. Lind asserts that people’s primary concern in their hierarchy of needs is order. The modern state, he argues (as does Thomas Hobbes), which came into existence because it monopolized the legitimate use of violence, is absolutely essential for human survival and anything resembling civilization. Order is paramount and the state provides order, therefore the state is good.
In his theory on the generations of modern war, Lind contends that barring extreme circumstances, the actor working within the higher generational war framework will prevail in battle. Fourth Generation warfare (4GW), the most recent to emerge, is a contest for legitimacy, with battlefield combat no longer being the primary deciding factor in determining victory as it was in the first three generations. Legitimacy is being awarded to non-state actors by standing for tribe, race, gang, religion, cause, etc., and sheer military might is not enough to force an enemy to change his loyalty and acquiesce. This is evidenced by the United States’ clear military victories being virtually inconsequential to the loyalties and actions of the people throughout the Middle East. Groups like Hezbollah, al Qaeda, and ISIS exist because the U.S. and its puppet governments in that region are seen as illegitimate.
Curiously, despite acknowledging that primary loyalties are shifting away from states, Lind insists that defending the nation-state is the only way forward. By acknowledging this inconsistency it is my intention to show that 4GW is actually the only way to not just save Western man, but to return him to glory. I also see something beyond 4GW that is beginning to emerge and, although it is far too early to tell for sure, it looks an awful lot like a Fifth Generation of modern war.
First, some clarifications
- When I refer to 4GW forces, I am strictly referring to the non-state entities that are drawing loyalties away from states. Unless it is explicitly stated, I am not talking about combat. 4GW is firstly a political phenomenon because the contest is ultimately for legitimacy.
- The state in the context of this analysis refers to the post-Westphalian nation-state, not any and all forms of government.
The state is out of date
It is far too simplistic to say that people’s most basic need is order. Order is a prerequisite for higher culture, true, but survival is the number-one concern. The state came into being because it protected a people. Blood and folkways were defended from criminals and invaders, and a more centralized authority provided instruments for civilizational advancement. The state’s new prime directive is advancing ideology, and order is doled out selectively. Look at the Ferguson riots and how the state utterly refused to crack down on the violence because it did not serve the greater political narrative to do so. European peoples, both on the continent and the diaspora, are no longer feeling protected by the states they founded.
Consider the many other ways that the modern state not only fails to protect, but is now actually detrimental to the survival of Europeans:
- Foreign wars of choice, especially since 1945, that have sacrificed thousands of lives not in the name of the Fatherland or the tribe, but for special interests coughIsraelcough and a globalist ideology.
- The capitalist economy, which knows no borders or loyalties, has put our workers and craftsmen out of business. It has also had the effect of turning every spare plot of land into a strip mall that sells cheap junk.
- Anti-family policies—Welfare that targets single mothers, no-fault divorce, the absence of family living wages which requires two working parents
- Anti-white policies like non-white immigration, affirmative action,that are replacing Europeans in their homelands and the countries they founded.
- Taxes and the monetary policy make responsible behavior, like saving for hard times and avoiding debt, something to be discouraged.
- It is anti-traditional and anti-religious. The state is no longer for a people, so patriotism is all that matters. Without the spiritual mandate from the tribe, the state is the only thing left to be loved and honored.
- It is totalitarian. Massive security measures become more necessary the tighter the ideological grip becomes.
While the state is failing to fulfill its original reason for existing and even going so far as to be accomplishing the opposite, the world is also outgrowing the very idea of the state.
Mass communications, especially the internet, allow a way around government censors that are present in other media. New ideas are now available for anyone willing to look. Who could imagine Identitarianism going beyond a musing in a coffee shop just 20 years ago? It also puts into contact, as does fast, affordable transportation, people who would not have been able to do so in an earlier age. By connecting it turns out that not all Frenchmen are “cheese-eating surrender monkeys,” Russians are not drunk communist savages, and Spaniards are not Mexicans on a different continent. We are incredibly similar and share a spectacular civilization. Sure, there are familial differences, but we are just that: part of one European family.
As soon as we see that, hostilities between states make very little sense. Consider the Neo-Cold War of the past year: Why on Earth should millions of NATO soldiers sign up to be ready to kill millions of Russian soldiers with families trembling in fear at home on both sides just because the governments cannot get along (all while those governments invite millions of non-white invaders into our lands)? The people have no quarrel with one another and old national grudges have gone by the wayside.
The state is simply too small for what we need today, and yet too big at the same time. It is too small to incorporate the civilizational currents that are starting to rise. Broader Western civilization cannot be defended by states that are ultimately only concerned by their narrow self-interest. The state is also too big to be an instrument for tribal and local concerns. The United States central government has all but stomped out regional particularities and European states erode smaller historic identities.
It is time to abandon the concept of the state for something new.
The state simply does not work for Europeans anymore. We have to recognizes this. We also have to recognize that the same forces that are making the state obsolete, like affordable transportation, advanced communications, and the continued dominance of multi-national corporations, have made globalism inevitable. We need a new organization that can provide state services and compete on a global scale, but one that is not so monolithic or bureaucratic as the nation-state or confederations like the EU. I am proposing the formation of a non-state, 4GW entity that will act for the benefit of our people and civilization. In my next article I will discuss specifics, but here I will cover the basic nature of what this organization should be:
- It is NOT a political party. We are leaving the state behind. Our loyalty is to our people and to the organization; and that only because it is good for our people. It will operate within the legal system (because it has to in order to survive initially), but not as part of it.
- It is not “waiting for the collapse.” A formal over-night collapse probably will not happen. The state will continue to de-legitimize itself with heavy-handed tactics and mismanagement of resources. Our job is to push that which is ready to fall by providing services where the state is clearly failing and by siphoning away loyalty. When the state finally is in a position of real weakness, we will have something ready to fill the void for our people.
- It will run political candidates, but only as explicit Europeans, just as blacks and other PoC run as explicit minorities. We have no interest in doing good for “the country,” we will only use what is left of the machinery to do what is good for us. This is of course much further down the road.
- It is not bound or defined by geography. Cells will be established wherever Europeans are located. Cells will have a fair amount of autonomy, but a central governing body will coordinate and keep the organization on the same page. The primary goal is to defend and unite Europeans, wherever they are.
- It will start out as a charity, helping out poor and working-class whites on the condition of improvement. A family wants to have a fourth or fifth child, but they need help paying for food? We give them a check or a weekly food basket. An alcoholic deadbeat living in a trailer park wants to improve his life? We pay for him to learn a trade on the condition that he submits a drug test and financial records every week. The organization delivers real welfare and builds a political constituency. Later the organization will provide other services that have come to be expected from states, like schools and hospitals.
- It will establish intentional communities that are beautiful and safe.
- It will provide security forces for troubled white communities and would eventually be capable of small military interventions. One could easily envision an operation to evacuate the last remaining Afrikaners in a Fall-of-Saigon-style crisis.
- It would also issue money or a new crypto-currency, similar to Bitcoin.
The road to Imperium
A Fourth Generation world is a world of chaos, and is not sustainable. The hypothetical entity described above cannot be an end in itself. The key is to use it to our advantage as a way to transition to something greater. Here is where inklings of major meta-political change are beginning to emerge, in the form of very large imperial blocs. This is in fact a new flavor of globalism. One that respects human differences, but allows problems to be solved that can only be addressed on a global level.
Fifth Generation warfare, if it can be called that at all in the absence of the nation-state, would probably be conducted by resource and trade manipulation. A world divided by irreconcilable civilizational differences would likely see peace like has never been known before simply because each would be left alone to determine its own destiny.
As smaller barriers are brought down and the European stocks are intermixed, we need to reach for deeper sources of identity, like those of race and our common civilization. You might say, “I have a dream” that one day Europeans are united under one spiritual and political empire across Europe, Siberia, North America, and Australia, with outposts under the same banner wherever else we may be, be it South America, Africa, or across the stars.